Saturday, August 15, 2015

Union Peak

Saturday morning I headed east toward Steven's Pass. Once over the pass I took Smith Brook Road up a few miles and parked at the Smith Brook trail head. There were a few cars there when I arrived at roughly 8:30 am. It was an overcast and cool morning and the day before had been a lengthy and vigorous lightning and rain storm. I thought perhaps that deterred a few would-be hikers for today.


I started up the Smith Brook trail and climbed the well groomed and nice trail until about the 4500 ft level where there is a large rock field. There is where I started to climb the ridge going in a north east direction. This was mostly large rock at first so it took some meandering around to find a good route. But eventually I got on top of the big rocks and was climbing the ridge heading in that same direction as the route turned more into forest. I made my way through the trees and underbrush until about the 5300 ft level and turned north west and followed that ridge up to the peak. I did a lot of bush whacking, and got completely soaked. It didn't rain at all, but as I mentioned it rained a lot yesterday and all those plants held onto that water until I got there. It was like hiking through a sprinkler all day.


As I approached the peak, it was hard to tell where the exact highest location was. The peak is a very gentle sloping dome shape. Honestly pretty anticlimactic. Plus it was cloudy and foggy all day so there was virtually no views at the top. Pretty mundane. But I'm sure the views are very pretty when there is something to see. My plan was to continue on to Jove Peak today as well, but considering the poor visibility and the fact that I was completely soaked and cold, I didn't see the point in continuing today.


At the top I laid on the ground for a good 30 minutes and took a quick cat nap while trying to dry off/warm up. It was quite chilly up there for an August summer day. But once my synthetic pants dried it got a little easier to tolerate the cool temperatures, and even though it wasn't raining I put on my rain gear and headed back down intent on staying dry while bush whacking. As I came to the rock field portion I think I found an easier, safer option down to the trail than the way I came up. And as I got back onto the main trail I encountered several people on their way to Valhalla Lake I presume. I made my way back down to the parking lot to find it completely full of cars (it is a relatively small parking lot) with cars lining the road in both directions. So it turns out the previous day's lightning storm didn't deter as many people as I thought.



Region: Central Cascades, Stevens Pass, East
Distance:  3.4 miles
Elevation Gain:  1680 ft
Peak Elevation: 5696 ft
Difficulty: S2, T2
Pass Requirement: No

As always check out all the photos of the hike and every hike by clicking on the "Photos" tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment