Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mt. Pilchuck


Today after work I drove straight up to Mt. Pilchuck trail head for a second attempt at the lookout. Last month I fell short due to a nasty storm and very poor visibility (I could have made it to the top, but it wouldn't have been worth it with no views.) I started from the trail head at about 3:45 pm and there were a few cars in the parking lot. I saw a few groups of people coming down the mountain as I was headed up. Today was a hot, clear, sunny day. It was in the mid 80's while I was climbing, so needless to say I got pretty dang sweaty real quick.

The trail is pretty rough. For those who haven't been on this trail before (and who hasn't, this is easily one of the most popular trails in the area) it is a mix of rocks, roots, boulders, man made steps, rocks, some dirt and more rocks. (This trail is VERY rocky.) But on a clear sunny day you can't beat the views you get along the trail and eventually once you reach the lookout. At the lookout you have views of mountains in all directions including across the Puget Sound. It is quite the sight which is probably the reason which makes this hike such a popular one. The climb isn't too terribly difficult climbing 2200 feet over 2.7 miles reaching a peak elevation of 5324 feet.

The lookout has a wealth of knowledge and history. Lots of history is posted about the lookout, the region and the Mountaineers, who maintain the lookout, with interested old pictures. All the peaks and mountains are labeled inside the lookout so you can identify them. As much wonderful information there is in the lookout I wouldn't advise staying in there too long on hot days because it gets super stuffy in there with no airflow. One of my favorite parts of the lookout is the big American Flag standing proud, high in the skyline. Very patriotic.


On especially clear days you can see Mt. Rainier towering in the skyline. Today I could just barely see it as clouds were starting to form just in that direction. But needless to say, the views here are breath taking, especially considering how close to town it is.

The climb back down was a quick one for me. I still had work the next morning and that makes for an early wake up. So after I took some pictures, ate a quick snack and enjoyed the lookout for a few minutes I made a quick exit and met a few more people on their way up, who probably had a much later bed-time than me.

Region: North Cascades, Mountain Loop Highway
Distance: 2.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 2200 ft.
Peak Elevation: 5324 ft.
Difficulty: Medium
Pass Requirement: Yes, Northwest Forest Pass.

As always check out all the photos from of the hike and every hike by clicking on the "Photos" tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment